For more than 150 years Wetzlar is known worldwide as center of optics and precision mechanics. This goes back to Moritz Hensoldt and Carl Kellner, friends and pioneers in modern optics. The todays Carl Zeiss Sports Optics GmbH has roots back to the company of Moritz Hensoldt founted in the middle of the 19th century. It was acquired by the Carl Zeiss foundation in 1928 and produces and sells optical and optronic devices as well as binoculars, riflescopes and spotting scopes.
First official mention of the older settlement in Lorsch Codex.
Elevated to imperial city status.
Wetzlar becomes seat of the Imperial Superior Court; century of economic growth follows.
The company Engelbert & Hensoldt relocates to Wetzlar. The company was founded in Sonneberg in Thuringia in 1852 and moved to Braunfels in 1861.
In addition to his work for Engelbert & Hensoldt, Moritz Hensoldt begins operating his own company.
Facilities become too small as a result of the good development of the business: Hensoldt acquires a workshop on Sophienstrasse and erects a larger factory on the premises a year later.
The company M. Hensoldt becomes a general partnership under the name M. Hensoldt & Söhne, Optische Werkstätten in Wetzlar.
New building erected on Sophienstrasse.
Buildings on Sophienstraße become too small due to expanded product range: construction of factory on Gloëlstraße begins and can be occupied one year later.
Transformation of general partnership into stock corporation.
Company reliant on investments following global economic crisis. Carl Zeiss Foundation acquires majority share in the company.
All binoculars from Carl Zeiss in Oberkochen are manufactured in Wetzlar.
Renamed to Carl Zeiss Sports Optics.