The workshop for precision mechanics and optics opened by Carl Zeiss in Jena in 1846 enjoying a sustained period of prosperity during its early years. On the basis of Ernst Abbe’s outstanding scientific achievements, a global player in the field of optics gradually evolved. This period of success continued for a century.
The partition of Germany as a result of World War II led to two Zeiss companies, one in the West and one in the East. With the political changes taking place in the former East Germany in 1989/90, the two competitors reunited to form a single company in 1990. Reunited, Carl Zeiss became stronger than ever before in its eventful history.